- Performances & Tickets
- 2012-2013 Performances
- Plan Your Visit
- 50th Anniversary - 2013 - 14 Season
- Ticketing Policies
- About Us
- Support the Ballet
- Education & Outreach
- Ballet West Academy
- Auditions & Placement
- Pay Tuition Online
- Student Registration
- Course Descriptions & Curriculum
- Class Schedule
- Dress Code
- Summer Intensive 2013
- Pre and Less-Intensive Summer 2013
- Adult Class
- Policies & Procedures
- Academy Parents
- News & Events
Staff Job Openings
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB PROFILE
BALLET WEST MISSION & ORGANIZATION:
Founded in 1963, Ballet West’s mission is to:
- Entertain and excite audiences in Utah and worldwide by presenting great classical ballets, historical masterpieces and new cutting-edge creations with the highest standards of artistic and professional excellence.
- Build future ballet artists and audiences by providing excellent classical ballet training, and to offer outstanding education and outreach programs that will inspire children and adults alike from all walks of life.
Over the past six years Ballet West has experienced creative rejuvenation and critical acclaim under the artistic direction of Adam Sklute. The 2012-2013 season marks the company’s 50th and includes brand new creations, renowned masterpieces, and great classics that highlight the versatility and dramatic flair of the company’s world-class artists. The Ballet West Academy provides promising students training with some of the finest teachers in the country, and students receive instruction from renowned guest teachers as well as members of the Ballet West artistic staff.
Ballet West has recently completed a $20M capital campaign for a new 45,000 square foot facility; groundbreaking on the project will begin in Summer 2013 with an anticipated opening date of June 2014. This state-of-the art facility, adjacent to our current facility, the historical Capitol Theatre, will create a location for Ballet West's Academy, instantly quadruple the capacity for training and rehearsal with five new dedicated ballet studios, and house the administrative offices.
Ballet West is a world class company with a diverse $7.5 million budget supported by committed individual and institutional donors, a strong team of artistic and professional staff, and an energetic, community-connected board of directors.
LOCATION: Ballet West is located in Salt Lake City, Utah.
POSITION CONCEPT: Ballet West seeks an energetic, creative and experienced arts administrator to leverage the artistic reputation, unprecedented brand exposure as a result of two successful seasons of the BBC produced “Breaking Point” television series, completed capital campaign, and groundbreaking of the new facility. The confluence of these activities will provide Ballet West’s new Executive Director the platform to elevate and expand board participation and significantly increase regional and national fundraising strategies for operational, artistic development, and endowment at this exciting, premier non-profit organization.
The Executive Director will be a seasoned nonprofit arts leader with the proven ability to grow a visual or performing arts organization and experience in launching and supporting programmatic growth and fund development initiatives that support Ballet West’s mission and the Artistic Director’s long range vision. The Executive Director will possess extensive experience in creative development and fund raising; exhibit strong visionary leadership qualities and will have a career path that includes top-tiered executive experience at one or more nonprofit performing or cultural arts institutions. The Executive Director will match a passion for Ballet West with the ability to be successful in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, dynamic organization.
The Executive Director will work with the Board of Directors and Artistic Director to establish and implement a sustainable business model, develop strategic partnerships that enhance and grow the Ballet’s presence, membership, fundraising dollars, earned income and social enterprise initiatives over the next phase of the organization’s development.
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following:
- Successful verifiable annual revenue building track record
- Demonstrated senior-level nonprofit experience in an entrepreneurial environment, including management of staff, successful earned income generation and fundraising, and development and execution of strategic and operational plans
- Demonstrated experience building and creating collaborations and sustaining effective relationships with board, staff, members, volunteers, donors, philanthropic foundations, community/political/and business leaders, peer institutions and other stakeholders
- The ability to identify, initiate, nurture, and maintain close relationships with major individual and institutional donors and donor prospects
- Working knowledge of dealing and negotiating with organized labor
- Solid financial management skills with the ability to oversee the financial health of the organization and ensure that earned and contributed income meets budget projections.
Critical immediate organizational priorities include the following:
- Develop and execute realistic short- and long-term plans for generating the funds to increase both earned and contributed income, build reserves, achieve long-range financial stability and lay the foundation for future growth
- Assess, design and implement an organizational structure to ensure that Ballet West has the capacity to execute its artistic vision, develop and maintain excellent programs, grow its Academy
- Direct the construction and relocation teams in anticipation of the new facility
- Cultivate and strengthen new and existing relationships, collaborations and partnerships in order to maximize efficient and effective use of community resources, enhance reputation and visibility, and strengthen Ballet West’s position as a premier dance company
- Maintain high levels of employee morale and volunteer engagement; foster a spirit of teamwork among staff, volunteers and other stakeholders; strengthen internal communications and decision making; and ensure accountability for results throughout the organization
- Work in partnership with the board of directors to increase their leadership development and training, actively engage and energize all board members, and foster the board’s ability to leverage their talents and experiences to the short- and long-term benefit of the organization
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Executive Director is a direct report to Ballet West Board of Directors, as does the Artistic Director of the organization. The two executives have a business relationship to execute the mission of the organization.
The Executive Director will directly supervise and manage five full-time positions including department heads in development, finance, and marketing as well as the Company and Tour Manager. Indirectly, the Executive Director will provide inspirational leadership to 80 FTE employees and 150 volunteers.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE and CAREER PATH: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required (though a Masters Degree or higher is preferred.) While the Executive Director is not required to have a background related to dance, he/she should have or be willing to develop an appreciation. The ideal candidate has seven to ten years plus of arts administration leadership experience in the nonprofit sector (preferably a dance company) including Performing Arts groups, Visual Arts, and/or performance venues.
COMPENSATION: Ballet West offers a competitive salary based on the candidate’s experience, along with a negotiated executive benefits package.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Ballet West requires the following submission to begin the application process:
1.) A cover letter. All candidates are strongly encouraged to develop a cover letter that describes how their qualifications and experiences fully intersect with Ballet West’s needs.
3.) Compensation history and Compensation requirements.
All three attachments must be received; incomplete applications will not be considered. We request that you forward electronic submissions only. All materials may be submitted to:
No phone calls to Ballet West offices or personnel please. Only principal, qualified candidates will receive a response.
Ballet West is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and actively and enthusiastically seeks a diverse pool of candidates.
Reports to: Internal Sales Supervisor
FLSA Status: Part-Time, Hourly
Revised: August 15, 2012
The Sales Representative is responsible for selling Ballet West season tickets and packages, promoting Ballet West shows and programs, and contacting patrons/donors during our annual Friends Campaign for donations via telemarking/telefunding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sells ticket packages to patrons and solicit donations via outbound phone calls.
- Helps meet pre-determined goals for ticket sales, promotions and contributions.
- Follow-up with clients as needed.
- Establish relationships with patrons in order to create repeat business, referrals and provide superior customer service.
- Identify potential group and corporate sale prospects.
- Help maintain complete and accurate customer records.
- Assists in preparing direct mail projects.
- Work performances as needed.
- Work external venues as needed (i.e., The Utah Arts Festival, Park Silly, The Farmers Market).
- Other duties as assigned by the Internal Sales Coordinator.
Must have excellent interpersonal, customer service, written and verbal communication, and customer service skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; high level of professionalism and grace under pressure; courteous attitude and strong listening skills; willingness to make numerous outbound cold calls with a high energy level; commitment to setting and achieving goals; strong desire to succeed; excellent phone and computer skills. Qualified candidates should possess a genuine passion for music and the arts
Education and/or Experience
Experience customer relations in a call center/floor environment required. Experience in ticket sales, telemarketing/telefunding and a background in dance or arts is preferred but not required. High School Diploma required.
Ability to travel locally. Due to the nature of Ballet West’s business (performing arts organization) work requires employee to be available to work after hours and some weekends.
$8 an hour base, plus bonuses; incentives and free tickets to Ballet West.
To apply for the Sales Representative position click here.
Ballet West is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).